Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Centralia, Pennsylvania


For my first post I figured I would pick something close to home. Centralia, Pennsylvania is a ghost town that was abandoned by all but a select few in 1981. The town was a coal mining town for many years, but an accident caused a fire to spread to the tunnels under the town filled with coal. The town has been burning since 1962 and after many attempts to put the fire out, most of which helped the fire spread, the government finally admitted defeat and relocated the residents when a child almost fell into a deadly sinkhole caused by the fire. The town is still burning to this day and according to studies done could continue burning through the next century. In order to get to this place you would have to ignore all the Detour road signs and warnings of toxic emissions (granted I wouldn't stay here for long, but to see something like that is not an opportunity you get every day so I would suggest bringing a gas mask or at the very least something to cover your nose and mouth). From what I have heard, there are places in the town where you can see the smoke rising from the underground fires.

No comments:

Post a Comment